A Small Leak Can Turn Into a Big Problem
With any leak, it’s the water that you don’t see that causes the most damage. Unseen water can soak through walls, seep through carpet, and pool on subfloors, causing major problems over time.
Periodic inspections can protect your home investment: the most important step you can take is to identify any humidity, moisture, or water damage problems before they create bigger problems such as mold or structural damage. Here are a few tips to help you identify potential issues.
- Periodically inspect your home inside and out.
- Look for any water or moisture. Pay special attention around pipes, in basements, and in crawl spaces. If you see a problem, call SERVPRO to identify the extent of damage. Sometimes moisture in ceilings or wall cavities cannot be seen. This provides perfect conditions for mold growth. SERVPRO can identify this moisture and remove it, usually without expensive repairs.
- Your nose knows! Musty and moldy odors may be an indicator of growing molds. Your sense of smell may alert you to problems you cannot see.
- Control humidity in bathrooms, showers, and wherever water is used repeatedly. Exhaust fans, proper caulking, and regular cleaning with a bleach-based cleaning product will help keep problems away.
- Ventilation matters. Proper ventilation in attics, crawl spaces, basements, and other dark spaces can help stop moisture problems. Be sure these areas are well ventilated.
- HVAC systems and air conditioners. Having your HVAC and air conditioners inspected regularly can identify moisture problems or drain clogs.
Don’t procrastinate if you find a problem. Get professional help from SERVPRO of Fernandina Beach/Yulee/North Jacksonville to make sure the problem is solved. The best defense—and the best way to keep down costs—is periodic inspections and quick action, so call us at 904.729.2401.